Yorkshire Grit is an abrasive paste formulated to give a fine-keyed surface to your turnings, prior to applying your finish of choice. The products contain a hand-blended mix of mineral oil, beeswax and abrasive powders that are carefully processed together without the use of solvents or other strong smelling and potentially harmful chemicals. The result is a creamy paste that acts like “liquid sandpaper” that reduces scratches left behind by lower grit dry sanding, and eliminating fine dust produced by higher grit sanding.
Product: 8 oz / 227g (in fully recyclable lidded container)
MICROFINE For Resins / Hybrids / Wood Recommended Instructions For Use:
1. Best results are achieved by using Original Yorkshire Grit prior to Microfine Yorkshire Grit. If this is not possible, sand to at least 600 grit ensuring you have an even surface free of all tools marks and radial marks left by previous sanding grits.
2. If you are using Microfine Yorkshire Grit directly after dry sanding (not using Original Yorkshire Grit first), apply a thin sanding sealer and leave to cure and de-nib according to sanding sealer directions.
3. With lathe off, use a paper towel to apply a small amount of paste to the workpiece working it into the grain until uniform coverage is achieved.
4. Start the lathe at a slow speed (approximately 500 rpm or less) and using the same applicator towel work the paste into the workpiece for a minute or two. The paste acts as liquid sandpaper. Depending on the material you are abrading, you may need to add additional paste on applicator towel until the desired finish is achieved.
5. Once you are satisfied with the level of sanding finish use a clean paper towel and move across the workpiece with moderate pressure, while increasing lathe rpm, until the residue stops showing on the towel.
6. For Resin and Hybrid pieces, if you are aiming for a glass clear finish you are now ready for buffing. For Wood pieces, for your final appearance and use apply your favorite finish of choice. Care should be taken to ensure all Microfine residue is removed prior to using any lacquer-based finishes.