Yorkshire Grit is an abrasive paste formulated to give a fine-keyed surface to your turnings, prior to applying your finish of choice. The products contain a hand-blended mix of mineral oil, beeswax and abrasive powders that are carefully processed together without the use of solvents or other strong smelling and potentially harmful chemicals. The result is a creamy paste that acts like “liquid sandpaper” that reduces scratches left behind by lower grit dry sanding, and eliminating fine dust produced by higher grit sanding.
Product: 8 oz / 227g (in fully recyclable lidded container)
ORIGINAL For Wood Recommended Instructions For Use:
1. Sand to at least 240 grit ensuring that you have removed all tool marks and radial marks left by previous sanding grits. (higher than 400 grit is not necessary)
2. Apply your preferred sanding sealer and leave to cure according to sanding sealer directions.
3. With lathe off, use a paper towel to apply a small amount of paste to the workpiece working it into the grain until uniform coverage is achieved.
4. Start the lathe at a slow speed (approximately 500 rpm or less) and using the same applicator towel work the paste into the wood for a minute or two. The paste acts as liquid sandpaper and you will feel it cutting in as such. As you work the paste in it will continue to process through at an increasingly finer mesh.
5. Once you are satisfied with the level of sanding finish use a clean paper towel and move across the workpiece with moderate pressure, while increasing lathe rpm, until the residue stops showing on the towel.
6. For final appearance and use, apply your favorite finish of choice.